14/10/2016 0 Comments
Five Ways to Protect Your Eyes with Sunglasses
For many people in Vancouver, sunglasses are just a fashion accessory or used to block out the glare of the sun while sailing or skiing.
But finding a well-made pair of sunglasses in Vancouver can do much more than that. They protect the long and short-term health of your eyes and protect the skin around your eyes from the damaging effects of the sun.
How Sunglasses Protect Your Eyes
Even though it’s rainy six months of the year, donning a pair of sunglasses is good for your eyes all year round in Vancouver. You may not notice it as much, but damaging sunlight can penetrate even the greyest of days.
- Ultraviolet protection. Prolonged exposure to UVA and UVB rays can cause cataracts, benign growths, and photokeratitis (or “snow blindness”), which is a temporary but painful sunburn on the eyes.
- Cancer prevention. UVB rays have also been linked to eye cancer and skin cancer around the eyes and eyelids. Wide sunglasses that cover the skin around the eyes can decrease exposure.
- Bright light protection. If the light is too bright or intense or if you stare directly into the sun, it can damage your retinas, causing permanent blindness. It can also cause headaches and migraines.
- Blue light protection. This is often seen as the intense glare from snow or water. Your eyes are unable to focus clearly when exposed to blue light. Long-term exposure may cause aging of the retina, macular degeneration and blindness in people over 60 years old.
- Increased eye comfort. Sunlight causes squinting, watery and tired eyes. Wearing sunglasses gives your eyes some much-needed relief from the glare and brightness of the sun.Squinting less has the cosmetic bonus of decreasing fine lines and wrinkles.
What to Look for in a Good Pair of SunglassesSome sunglasses, even the high-priced ones, are more for fashion than for the health of your eyes. Fortunately, most effective protective sunglasses are stylish too.
If you are looking for sunglasses in Vancouver, visit the Granville Optical showroom or contact us today to book an appointment. We will help you find the perfect pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes!